3-Alarm Masaryk Towers Fire Caused by Space Heater
Shortly before noon Wednesday morning, flames exploded from the sixteenth floor of 89 Columbia Street, one of the buildings comprising the Masaryk Towers. The New York Post learns that the blaze, which spread to the three floors above, was caused by a space heater that was “too close to combustible material near the bed.” Two women living in the apartment escaped with minor injuries due to smoke inhalation.
All told, 130 firefighters responded to the three-alarm high-rise fire. Two purebred Boxers died on the eighteenth floor.
It’s also worth noting that a few days earlier, a man jumped to his death across the street before his wife’s funeral