LPC Calendars Hearing for Controversial Condo Alongside Merchant’s House Museum
The Landmarks Preservation Commission set a date to consider a new application from a familiar face. And it has major implications (nay, ramifications) for the historic Merchant’s House Museum.
As previously reported, Kalodop II Park Corp., the owner-developer which spent the last decade fighting for the hotel development of 27 East 4th Street, now proposes something new altogether. A roughly seven-story (94-foot) affair that is more contextual with the surroundings.
However, Museum staff and local preservationists remain concerned about the structural integrity of the building, which dates back to 1832 (home of the Tredwell family) and is considered New York City’s only 19th century family home preserved intact. (The building was the first landmark designated by the city in 1965.)
“According to multiple studies undertaken by several of the city’s top engineering firms, the Merchant’s House would certainly sustain extensive, irreversible damage to its landmarked interior and exterior, including its irreplaceable and original 1832 plaster, interior details, flooring, and rear and side façades,” the Museum wrote in its mailer.
The Merchant’s House would also be forced to close for the entirety of construction.
Community Board 2 heard the Kalodop proposal a few weeks ago, and as before, rendered its recommendation to deny the project.
The city agency will consider the new project on January 12.