Economy Candy Celebrates 85 Years with Block Party Tomorrow
Economy Candy this year celebrates a big birthday, and it’s joining a host of local businesses and candy brands to fete itself.
The iconic candy shop returned from its pandemic slumber in the fall of 2021, along with a store reconfiguration. And now, at 85-years-old, throwing a huge block party tomorrow.
Expect to see penny candy cart stationed outside of our shop where candy will actually cost 1¢, free pickles from The Pickle Guys and limited edition anniversary merch
Highlights include the following, not to mention a host of candy giveaways.
- A penny candy cart at the front door with treats priced at one cent.
- Limited edition, sweet cream cheese spread courtesy of Kossar’s.
- Exclusive Economy Candy related pastries sold via Partybus Bakeshop and Supermoon Bakery.
- Mikey Likes It ice cream stand.
- Rivington Street neighbors Restocked NYC, Edith Machinist, and El Castillo will also be taking their operations to the sidewalk to celebrate
- Economy Candy inspired cocktails from Serafina LES, Verlaine, Welcome to the Johnson’s, and Pretty Ricky’s.
Eighty-five is a big one. Indeed, the sweets shop entered life on the Lower East Side in 1937 around the corner on Essex Street. Its original function was a discount shoe shop, yet the candy stand became the biggest draw for the small business. Especially since fashion purchases weren’t number one for those most affected by the Depression years. So, founder Morris “Moishe” Cohen, who passed away over seven years ago at age 92, pivoted the company into a sweets shop.
Economy Candy eventually moved to the current spot in 1985. Its predecessor here was Saperstein’s, a sweets and appetizing store that opened here in 1903, and also survived eight decades.
However, the last couple of years have been difficult for the neighborhood favorite. During the pandemic, Economy Candy relied on CandyCare Packs and curbside exclusive Mystery Bags to survive the darker moments. These days, though, bestsellers include Chocolate Covered Graham Crackers, Chocolate Covered Pretzels, classic Penny Candy and the latest TikToK craze candies like Ju-C Jelly Fruits, Slime Lickers and Planet Gummies.